1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hail Guest Stratics will be brought down at 12 p.m. EST on Janury 8th in order to preform a server migration and updates to our software. Please read this post for details: REMINDER MAINTENANCE TOMORROW 12 P.M. EST [NOON EST]
    Dismiss Notice

Rares Fest Discussion

Discussion in 'UO Rares Collector' started by Queen Arya, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Queen Arya

Queen Arya Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Back in the day there were at least three rares fests a year- the community was always bustling about and many shards all vying for a spot on the calendar to be the next rares fest hosts.

I watched quite a few leave UO in the last several years and I know some have returned and some have become more active again @BrianFreud, @blend

How active is our rares community really? I would love to see posts here and open a discussion

Also, I know we lost the PEC (player event coordinator)position and Im gathering info here to see if I should bother contacting Mesanna on how we continue week long activities and have help with it should we continue to hold Rares fests

No one knows better than Toad Town members on how much time, effort, & resources go into a festival. I can understand not wanting to commit to a full week-lets open that discussion too
    Thanks
    Queen Arya
    Toad Town
    Atlantic

Mariah UO, Polaris75 and Archnight like this.
  2. Promathia

Promathia Crazed Zealot
    Premium Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

The loss of the PEC shouldn't effect things much. Their help was nice for some of the events planned during the week, but ultimately not required. All the setup/deco gets done by Mesanna anyways.

Qikdraw, blend and Mariah UO like this.
  3. Obs Knight LNR

Obs Knight LNR Journeyman

I'm down and can help if needed.

4. Superflea

Superflea Journeyman
    Supporter

I'd love to help

5. TandaBSK

TandaBSK Seasoned Veteran

I'd do what I can, I can't speak for MOA or MOAA but for myself personally I'll roll up my sleeves.

6. blend

blend Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

If anyone wants to perform this festival, we will gladly help this.
    If you need help, ask the people on the list or here for help.
    See some hosts from past festivals.
    Previous Rare Collector's Festivals (Shards, Dates, Hosts, Threads)

As Promasia says, I don't care much about PEC.
    A few years ago I asked Mesanna to decorate the venue and at the same time tried to hold a mini event with PEC.
    This proposal has been rejected.What PEC told me is that Mesanna will provide all the support for the festival.PEC services are not eligible.
    I think that the end of this service has affected a lot of people doing player events:(

Are concerned.
    About vendor house, I'm not sure how it works under the current specs due to changes in vendor fees, etc.
    Everyone would want to have a house near the festival venue and an owner vendor

#6 blend, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  7. BrianFreud

BrianFreud Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
    Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Campaign Supporter

That sounds about the same as I was told by Mesanna; she always handled the deco, and I had no interactions with the PEC for any of the events I was involved with.

8. Archnight

Archnight Legendary Crusader
    Moderator Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Supporter Kingdom Reborn [2.0]

I think running auction safes on single rare items might help save time instead of bulletin boards, it would allow people to browse via VS as well.

9. Smoot

Smoot Stratics Legend

theres a couple problems with safes that make them inferior to bulletin boards. (and the reason barely anyone actually uses the auction feature of auction safes)

no min bid increase. having 1g min bid increase on expensive items is not in the the best interest of the seller.

no way to eliminate sniping (which can be done with 3rd party programs) in essence, no 10 min rule.

5 percent loss / fee for buyouts.

safes are convenient, but if going to the trouble to organize an entire raresfest, i dont think that convenience is worth the relatively small amount of work to run an actual silent auction.

#9 Smoot, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  10. Obs Knight LNR

Obs Knight LNR Journeyman

I agree with smooth. I vote bulletin boards.