1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hail Guest Stratics will be brought down at 12 p.m. EST on Janury 8th in order to preform a server migration and updates to our software. Please read this post for details: REMINDER MAINTENANCE TOMORROW 12 P.M. EST [NOON EST]
    Dismiss Notice

[Gardening] prickly pear issues

Discussion in 'UO Botany and Nutrition' started by Shannow, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Shannow

Shannow Visitor

for the last 6 months (on and off) I've been gradually aiming towards obtaining every plant type in every plant colour.
    I havent specifically been going at it full guns, just crossing whatever has happened to mature with something else in storage to obtain something different.
    Anyway, now I have most plant ypes in most colours, but it would appear I have no prickly pears of any colour except plain.
    I have a book that lists what crosses I do to obtain what plant types - despite several crossings that should have given me prickly pears have always resulted in something totally different. From cactus and vanilla to just random other plant types like a fern etc.
    So my question is what gives?
    Is it bugged or something?
    I have now resorted to growing every colour of water plant and every colour of tribarral cactus. Once I have all these I will attempt directly crossing all these and see what grows. But not holding out much hope based on previous cross results

2. Tamais

Tamais Lore Keeper
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Editor Campaign Patron

Sorry to say, but all cactus plants are buggy. It started with the special cactus that gave us the colored vanilla and stuff. You can get the seeds by cross breeding, just takes longer. You might ask in chat if any other gardners have some. I know on lake austin we help each other

#2 Tamais, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  3. Shannow

Shannow Visitor

I'm on the rather empty dranchenfels - havent seen anyone for a month!
    anyway, from 2 attempts on several crossings, the ratio appears to be 1 successful tribarrel from 6-8 crossing attempts

4. Tamais

Tamais Lore Keeper
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Editor Campaign Patron

That sound correct. I love the special cactus but hate the big affect on the other cactus.

5. Bruce

Bruce Adventurer

Prickly pear is the only one I haven't been able to breed. Luckily somebody have me a seed.

Tamais likes this.